The safety of your baby is the number one concerns for every parent. Covering the pram with a blanket has been a common technique used to protect a baby from the sun or cold weather. However, after recent research it has been discovered to be a dangerous and possibly a life-threatening for little ones.
It can be dangerous for various reasons;
1. Covering the pram with a blanket can block the air circulation, which can cause it to become too warm for the baby. Overheating can lead to heatstroke, dehydration, and other serious complications. On the other hand, in cold weather, covering the pram can reduce the oxygen supply, which can also be very harmful for your baby.
2. Covering the pram with a blanket can impede the parent's view of their baby. This means that they may not be able to see their baby's face, making it difficult to monitor their breathing, especially if the baby falls asleep. This can be a significant danger, and it can result in suffocation, which can lead to serious complications or death.
3. A blanket covering the pram can create a suffocating environment for the baby. Blankets can become tangled or fall onto the baby's face, obstructing their breathing. This can have tragic consequences if not acted upon immediately.
4. A blanket covering the pram can be a tripping hazard. It can prevent the parent from seeing any hazards and obstacles in their path, putting both the baby and themselves at risk.
5. Covering a pram with a blanket may seem harmless, but the potential danger to the baby's health and safety is real. It is important to monitor your baby's temperature and breathing when exposed to extreme temperatures and weather situations. If you need to protect your baby from the sun or the cold, it's better to invest in a stroller shade or a specialized cover designed for that purpose. As a language model, I can't emphasize enough how crucial it is to prioritise the baby's safety above all else.
Always make sure to choose a lightweight and breathable blanket if you need to shade your pram with a blanket. Ensure there is ventilation to prevent the build up of heat in the pram and keep a close eye on your baby to make sure they are staying cool and safe while the pram is covered. A great option is a lightweight muslin wrap or blanket made from 100% cotton as they are soft, comfortable and breathable.
Leave a comment